Monday, June 3, 2013

Mom's Gets An A+

I know it sounds silly, but nothing pleases me more than when my family loves what I have cooked them for dinner. I am ALWAYS trying new recipes on them and ... not always getting the most favorable critiques. So tonight when my husband gave me a standing ovation ( I am not kidding) and my kids said, "Mom this dinner was an A+, I thought it would be a good one to share with all the mom's out there that feel the same way as me. It feels great when we give our family a dinner packed with healthy ingredients that everyone enjoys.

Chipotle Turkey Taco Filling   
Recipe from Diabetes Living Summer 2013
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
Makes: 6 servings

1/2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
1 Tablespoon fresh oregano, plus leaves to garnish
1.3 lb package ground meat turkey
1 canned chipotle chiles in adobe ( I used a little less than half the amount because this is spicy)
15 oz can no salt added chopped tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon of salt ( I omitted this)
1 teaspoon course ground pepper
Whole grain tortilla
Romaine lettuce chopped
1/2 cup chunky salsa

In a large skillet, warm oil over medium heat. Stir in onion, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until beginning to color, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in cumin and oregano.
Add turkey, raise heat to medium high. Cook stirring often, until cooked through and most of liquid evaporates, 12-15 minutes. Stir in chiles, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook until some of the liquid has evaporated about 10 minutes, Garnish with oregano leaves.  Put 1/2 cup meat in wrap, add lettuce and salsa

I am sure you may be thinking, who needs to bother, El Paso and Taco Bell make it so easy with just pouring in  their ready made powders and some water into ground meat. But I promise you, this is an easy one to make, free of added preservatives and much lower in sodium than those packaged powders and very flavorful. 
* I made guacamole with Trader Joes's Guacamole Kit and served with baked chips on the side-Delish!!

No comments:

Post a Comment